среда, 23 марта 2011 г.

Darren Aronofsky Walks from 'The Wolverine'

Hugh Jackman as WolverineDarren Aronofsky will no longer directThe Wolverine, 20th Century Fox’s follow-up to 2009’sX-Men Origins: Wolverine.

Aronofsky officially backed out on Thursday, issuing this statement to the press,“As I talked more about the film with my collaborators at Fox, it became clear that the production of‘The Wolverine’ would keep me out of the country for almost a year. I was not comfortable being away from my family for that length of time. I am sad that I won’t be able to see the project through, as it is a terrific script and I was very much looking forward to working with my friend, Hugh Jackman, again.”

Deadline’s sources say his exit is the unfortunate result of an ongoing custody battle between the director and his ex-fiancée, Rachel Weisz, over their son Henry Chance.  But the studio may also be reevaluating its production strategy after the earthquake and ensuing tsunami tragedy in the crippled country of Japan, though that decision won’t come until much later with the new unnamed director. Expect a Fall 2011 start date at the earliest.

TheBlack Swanfilmmaker has been attached to re-team with Hugh Jackman (The Fountain) since earlyOctoberand had begun taking pre-production meetings to discuss his vision for the movie, which he adamantly (adamantiumly?) promised was not a true sequel to the critically-panned origin story.

Aronofsky’s departure is certainly a disappointment for fans, who had hoped for a Christopher Nolan-esque re-imagining of the brooding comic book character rather than the popcorn-selling reboot of two years ago. But whenBlack Swanbecame a bona fide $281 million hit (worldwide) amidst awards recognition, some hesitation was to be expected from a talent who built a career making films through the independent route.

The script, penned by Christopher McQuarrie, has continued to receive praise from industry insiders, though I don’t dare breathe a detail from it for fear of Fox’s usual legal coercion. I will say that I think Silver Samurai could potentially be a worthy villain at the center of Wolverine’s Japanese saga. Maybe.


Source

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий